Friday, October 17, 2008

Baseball and More

Baseball: America's Pasttime. A game boys and girls learn to love before they even begin walking. A time for families to come together, watch their rival get blown away, eat hot dogs, and drink pop until there is no more room in the tummy. A game my own dad taught me to love (even though I have been known to take a book to a game or two...sorry, dad!).



One of the adult program teachers is visiting the Shanghai team this week and asked me to help teach her students baseball. "Sure, I would love to help!" You see, this the only time in my life when people think I'm really good at sports. All the students think I'm just great; does something for the ego if you know what I mean!!



So at 8am this morning, I headed to the adult program classroom, helped Sharon go over the rules again, and off we headed to the track (the only place big enough for us to play). I've learned something from my time in China: it doesn't matter how old the student is, if you give him or her a ball, he/she will throw it and not look! Thank goodness no one got hit. The boys (men actually) were fanatics when it came to throwing. Seriously, they could have really hurt themselves or the other students. Since this is America's pasttime, I wanted them to take pride in the game. In the two hours we played that never happened:-( It was while they were practicing the different parts of the game that I came to the realization that you really need to have grown up around the game to even appreciate it and understand it all. The students had no idea what "shagging the ball" meant (why did I even think they would?).



Overall, I think most of them enjoyed it. Some of the ladies weren't so keen on the sport, but the men seemed to really get a small piece of it.



The mosquitos are feasting on my extremities every night and leaving quite the track. With several days of sun and a nice breeze, I've had my windows open. Guess there must be some holes in the screens that are allowing the little buggers to manuever in. Emily and I have killed so many already. Maybe once it gets cold, they will leave me alone!



This evening, Emily and I have been invited to a game night at some friend's place. It will be nice to be get away from our places and be with other people! I'm looking forward to building more bonds with those I only see once a week!

Until next time.......

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I agree about your comment that giving a Chinese student a ball=it getting thrown without looking. Ask to Sharon to tell you how we (well, really a irresponsible student) broke a window playing baseball.... Well, maybe you heard that story from us or Kristi when it first happened. At least you didn't break anything :)!